Our recently appointed Account Executive, Stavros Apostolopoulos, graduated from Swansea University in 2018 after completing a Masters in Public Relations, Media Practice and Communications. He was invited to be a guest speaker at a lecture for third-year Media and Communications students earlier this month.
Here are some of the top tips that he shared with students who are about to make the leap into employment:
- Think creatively about how to get in front of potential employers. Sometimes an email just doesn’t cut it so try networking, connecting on LinkedIn or having a phone conversation.
- It’s really important to create your own brand and make yourself memorable. Make sure your CV reflects this brand.
- Bring tangible documents to leave behind at an interview or a tablet to show your digital work. These could include a CV, an appendix of work experience and a portfolio of projects you’ve been involved with.
- Demonstrate the results you’ve achieved from previous work experience to really emphasise where you could add value to the company.
- Be resilient and persevere when you’re applying for jobs. You may get some knock backs but ask for feedback and learn for next time.
Stavros also talked about what it’s like to work at Swansea’s leading integrated communications agency. He told the students that no two days are the same and that the pace of work makes for an exciting atmosphere. He talked about the range of tasks he completes in an average week including producing content plans, writing blogs and filming and editing videos all while learning new skills and developing as a PR professional.
Sarah Crowther, Lecturer in PR and Media at Swansea University said: ‘We were thrilled to invite Stavros back to Swansea University to speak about his experiences of moving from student to working life to our third-year Media and Communications students. Hearing directly from former Media students about how they approached seeking work, about their working lives, and about how students can increase their employability, is invaluable to our current cohort who are about to enter a highly competitive working environment’.
MGB is one of Wales established integrated PR and marketing communications agencies. If you want to learn more about our range of services click here.